Thursday, February 4, 2010



I showed some of my bookbinding work at Arisia, a Boston science fiction convention, in late January.  In addition to various journals and historical models, I showed my first modest foray into design binding.  The text block is a public-library discard copy of Journey to the Centre of the Earth; I prepared the text block long enough ago that I don't have a "before" picture, but it was your average tattered 1970s hardcover.

I rebound it in blue goatskin leather with a tight back; the first picture shows the paring of the edges of the leather.  You can see the marble pastry board I use as a paring stone and the  curved French paring knife.  The strop on the right has to be kept handy because paring leather requires an extremely sharp blade, and that fine edge is worn down quickly by the leather.

The closeup shows the headband, which was sewn with some linen thread I had dyed.

The front cover has concentric circles of red and brown goatskin; this is one of my first leather-onlay projects, and I'm fairly pleased with how it came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment